Friday, December 10, 2010

Little House on the Prairie

Laura Ingalls Wilder's memoir of her life growing up on the prairie fascinated me and my sister growing up. We made molasses cookies, watched the tv show, and even thought our mom should be like Ma Ingalls. (You know: always nice, never making us do chores, that sort of thing). I recently reread this series as I live in NE Wisconsin and so many things make sense now. The vastness of the land, the howling wind, and excessive amounts of snow - I struggle living in these conditions and it amazes me that people survived 150 years ago without all the things we have today! What I love about these books is the simplicity of the life described and even in the midst of little, they had each other and were content. These are books everyone should read. Not just because they describe another time but because they are timeless.

1 comment: